Walk In Our Shoes: Understanding the Latino Experience
The Walk In Our Shoes Latino simulation experience is designed to help participants understand what it’s like to live as a Latino in our community. It is a simulation, not a game. The object is to focus and sensitize participants to the realities faced by area Latinos. In the simulation, up to 52 participants assume the roles of up to 26 Latino individuals. The experience lasts from two to three hours. It includes an introduction and briefing, the actual simulation exercise, and a debriefing period in which participants and volunteer staffers share their reactions and experiences.
Who Should Attend?
Anyone who wants a greater understanding of Latinos living in our community—especially those who have contact with the local Latino population. Walk in our Shoes is an excellent tool for diversity training, leadership, and staff development.
Educators: School administrators, staff, teachers, counselors, students (high school, college)
Community Leaders: Business professionals, government, law enforcement, universities, Chamber of Commerce staff
Non Profits Church: leaders, social service workers, non-profit agency staff
Why attend or host a simulation event?
- To experience the power, impact and benefits of Walk in our Shoes firsthand
- To learn about the issues facing Latinos in our community
- To increase understanding, community conversation, cultural sensitivity and awareness
- To combat myths, stereotypes and promote cultural understanding
- To learn about opportunities to be a catalyst for change
How Does the Simulation Work?
ESTHER provides a facilitator and a team of volunteers to conduct the simulation. We can involve volunteers from your organization or draw from our own volunteer base, depending on your needs. Our facilitators and many of our volunteers are Latinos or those who have worked side-by-side with the Latino community and organizations that serve Latinos. We draw from diverse backgrounds and experience to present the most effective simulation possible.
Is There a Cost?
The normal cost to conduct the simulation in the Fox Valley Region is $300 for non-profit organizations and $500 for for-profit organizations. Simulations occurring outside of the Fox Valley will incur an additional charge for travel expenses.
Are There Any Additional Requirements?
- A room large enough to accommodate 26-52 people with space to move, interact and set up tables that act as resource stations for the simulation
- A minimum of 7 volunteers supplied by the organization (available 45 minutes prior to simulation)
- Completed enrollment form (minimum 26 participants/maximum of 52)
- Optional – projector/table/video screen or empty wall for projection
- Room setup -10 tables, 50-75 chairs
How Can I Register?
Send an email indicating your interest, date and the number of people in your group to: email@example.com
Questions About Attending or Hosting A Simulation?
Please For more information about Walk In Our Shoes please contact: (920) 843-8083